brown stains isn't really an option. I'll try the Oxyclean and see how
it comes out. Next step would be dyeing, but I worry about getting an
even job. I guess if all else fails I could get "artistic" with it. ;D

If you get to the point where you want to try the artistic route -- I'd use a selection of similar colors and try for an effect similar to "sponge painting" on walls.

Silk is so easy to dye -- you can sponge or squirt or drip acid dye in random patterns, wrap in plastic and steam (over water or nuke it); then rinse and repeat as often as you like. Buy some cheap silk scarves to practice with if you have something specific in mind (and keep notes!).

I'm thinking of something like a very subtle camouflage (very subtle!) Several shades of greens and browns swirled together and overlapping until there is no real "pattern" just one color blending into the next.

I think I'd make pair of silk pajamas and maybe a lovely summer night gown with the lightweight linen, but I can't help you with the historical suggestions...

Denise B
Iowa