I am firmly of the belief that while no one looks you in the eye, they're certainly not watching where their feet are going either. I have a gown that has a very short train (about a foot). In walking very quickly and purposefully in a straight line and following three other people toward my destination through a light crowd, I had my train stepped on no less than 6 times. Not only do people not see trains, but they have no concept of personal space.

Connie