Yes. For the most part, the teacher recommended taking the end of the first thread under whatever is already wrapped around the core and out the bottom, where you've already got thread tails. Clip it to the length of the existing tails. Then take the new thread and snake it up from the bottom underneath the already-wrapped bits to continue at the same spot, leaving a tail of that thread hanging out at the bottom as well. It seemed to work fine with the designs we were doing, though it got a tiny bit bulky on one of them--probably practice will improve things!

Melanie