Message: 4
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 03:06:53 -0400
From: "Penny Ladnier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Ironing (Was Linen Shir)t
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I wonder if this cooling method comes from mothers who put out their laundry
on the clothesline in the winter and the fabric froze.  I had not
experienced the freezing laundering syndrome until we moved to Illinois. My
son's cloth diapers froze stiff on the clothesline.  From all my years of
living in the Deep South, I had not experienced frozen laundry until then.
We didn't have a clothes dryer in our apartment and I had to iron his
diapers.  At the time, we were snowed in for a week.

A friend of mine grew up in Nebraska.  She told me that her grandmother
ironed everything year round.  I recall my mother ironing sheets and
pillowcases.

My mother was born in a coal-mining town. She said you never hung your
washing out when the wind was blowing in certain directions because
it would turn black! My grandmother was also a mad ironer (she
probably still would be if she spent much time at home these days). She
used to iron undies and tea-towels.

Claire