Nothing is stoping ANYONE on this list from taking the
trouble to contact the Metropolitan Museum and letting
them know that there might be derrivative work going
on, since ALL of us now know about the potential
violation... If Bjorn isn't that fussed by it (and if
I'm not) that's our own problem.

Fran, it almost sounds like YOU ought to be one of the
ones to take the inititive, since it's something you
appear to feel strongly about.  And if it isn't, then
may I ask why you're telling someone else that they
should bother?

On a related topic: if an oil painting of a costume in
an exhibit is a derivative work and a copyright
violation, is a costume based on a painting (or other
media)?  Most historical ones are probably
sufficiently well known that we're ok, but what if
someone wanted to, say, make a costume based off a
portrait/photo of, say, one of the (American) First
Lady's Inaguration Gown?

Steph