Another question that has something in common with the first one is: Would women wear chausses under the skirt when it was winter? If yes, it would be logic that they needed braies to tie the chausses to something. Do you know anything about this? I really am confused but this topic interests me quite a lot, so I'd like to get to know something more about it:-) Many thanks,
Zuzana

I think we have to imagine that women wore some type of undergarment. You may like going "commando", but I definitely feel more comfy with something "down there". I've become a great wearer of braies not for warmth, but for comfort at sweaty, sticky summer events to keep my inner thighs safe from chafing. I've actually adopted a few of my husband's pairs that are too small for him. As for hose, as others have said we typically see women in knee-high hose, but if you've ever worn a skirt in the winter, you know how the wind can whistle around up underneath. I see no reason why women wouldn't have worn nice tall, wooly chausses in the wintertime. Evidence for this is another matter, of course, but I can't help but think practically about these things. -Helena