Having gone some of this route myself... be very careful about validation. And don't get trapped into what he's saying. The "rules" for things like books and clothing are "garage sale prices". (Boy, did I skate by on my book collection. Tilki = $2 <G>)

And, the reality is, if you try to sell the pieces... they sell as used. Not only are you likely to not get your labor, but not get your material costs at liquidation prices... which is what you've got to use. Don't be prideful and values them at what they're worth to you, or "insurance rates".

Ex: My Snow Queen had over $1500 in materials alone and was in excellent condition. It could sized up and down a lot was covered in hand beading and crystal and all kinds of extras from wig to shoes. I worked on it for over 2 years to create a living sculpture Even with the most advertising I could muster, and selling near Halloween, it went for under $325. I couldn't even get e-bay sales on some of the other things because they were not what folks wanted. They ended up sold to neighbors and thrift shops for $25 to $35, even with hand beadings and embroidery... because to them they were just rental costumes... and not the flashy kind. (The exception was a flashy disaster of a t-tunic that had never been finished that folks fought over because they though it said Harry Potter... and I made money on that thing.)

If your hubby argues at the low set prices. Ask if he'll split the cost of having someone come in and value them.... value-for-sale prices... and use a vintage clothing/costume dealer, not a "historic expert". IF he doesn't like it, ask him to do the work of listing the pieces you're selling on e-bay and see what you get (and then value the pieces you're keeping from the same prices.)

There is NO need for you to dance to his tune. He's forfeit any claim at this point to even suggest. Go with the letter of the law.

-Cat-
Been there, done that, and even lost the t-shirt off my back.... but at least I have a spine now.