The dramtic rise in obestity, heart disease, cancer, autoimmune diseases like MS, type II diabeties, and the host of other "western" diseases aka the diseases of the kings are due to our SAD diet and lifestyle. You are what you eat and we currently eat a diet which has no history of safe consumption; a chemical hodgepodge of things which our body is not adapted to. The amazing thing is
that most of those diseases can be reversed by a healthy diet. Decades of
dammage can be undone; medications tossed aside.....

Just to be contrary, I have to contrast my personal experience to these findings. I was raised on a ridiculously healthy diet by a health-food obsessed mother, and all the up-to-date findings keep confirming the excellence of the diet I was on: lots of raw foods, everything made from scratch, no refined flour, honey rather than sugar used as sweetening, glorious home-made whole wheat bread, and a diet overall well-balanced between healthy low-fat protein and healthy non-processed carbs, etcetcetc. The only unhealthy factor was that, since I spent several years in the carribean, my diet during those years was saltier than it should have been (Colombians seem to think that all food should be dripping with salt). Well, that and the fact that I love citrusy, acidic foods, which had a poor effect on my teeth until I caught on to what was happening.

TMI:
I was a skinny child, but needed my first bra in 3rd grade. I began menstruating at 10, and have always had a very heavy period, lasting on average 8 days. Though I don't have PMS in the emotional sense, I have all sorts of very annoying physical reactions for a couple of weeks, especially hereditary IBS.

Since I left home at 15 (early college) my typical diet has been a bit of protein such as deli meat cuts, roast skinless chicken, lean red meat, or cheese, paired with lots and lots of fruit. If you ever meet me in person, odds are that I'll be chomping on an apple. (In fact, now that I think about it, if I ever design my own heraldry, an apple should probably figure in it, as it is my most recognizeable symbol.) My low-fat diet as a child, and a natural dislike of fat (even as a tiny child I demanded that the teeniest bits of fat be cut off my meat) have made for a very low-fat diet my entire life. I occasionally indulge cravings for starch, and I love potatoes though I rarely eat them anymore, especially after calculating the calories in my favorite potato-cheese soup (about 1000 per bowl; I gained a good 40 lbs the year I ate it regularly). Not the absolute healthiest diet, but certainly a lot different from the SAD. I mess with my diet every so often in an attempt to make it even healthier and less calorific (I love rich, heavy sauces like alfredo), but I always seem to go back to easy protein plus lots of fruit, with the occasional side of rice, potatoes, or pasta.

And, I have MS. There are several potential factors behind it, such as genetics (my mother has it, too) and geography as well as how I handle stress, and perhaps even exposure to radon, but a western diet surely ain't a factor for me. My diet and eating habits are more like a combination between primitive man's diet and the mediterranean diet. It's possible that my diet is the reason that I'm currently doing surprisingly well with the MS, but if diet is at fault, how did I get MS in the first place?

Of course, my body may just be as contrary as my personality: I was born missing a carotid artery, and despite being completely unable to locate it, my doctors assure me that I must have a spleen in here somewhere, or I'd probably be dead. But still, I can't help but be leery when I see problems that I know in my case are unrelated to diet, being blamed on diet!

-E House