On Thursday 06 December 2007, MaggiRos wrote:
> As I recall, the information that comes with the
> pattern says it's "unchanged for centuries" or
> something like that, and claims it's ok for all
> periods. From the construction of the hood, I'm pretty
> sure that's not so.
>
> Personally, I think it looks like wearing a
> box-pleated skirt around your shoulders, with a frilly
> hood attached.

It is my impression that the Kinsale cloak in its present form started to be
seen sometime in the 18th century.  Never having researched the subject, I'm
not certain of that, but based on what I know about 18th c clothing, it seems
likely to me.

I have one.  I made up the Folkwear pattern (without the hood, because I was
having a hard enough time gathering the cloak enough to sew the collar on) in
a lightweight wool/silk twill blend.  I wore it occasionally in fall weather
while I was in college.  It was a wonderfully fun garment, but I can
understand that many people might not want to be burdened with so much
material.

--
Cathy Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool
than to open it and remove all doubt."-- Mark Twain