Hi there,

I am thinking about finally getting a dressmaker's form for myself, but I am not sure which type I should get. Here is the dilemma, I am a woman of ample size (US size 26-28). My hope is, as always, to drop some or a lot of weight, but if I waited to get dressform until I was down to my ideal weight, I would be waiting for several years to eternity. When I pattern draft, I like to stick the pins directly into my mannequin. However, most of the home dress forms I have seen won't allow for that. So, what I want to know is: What dress form would you recommend for a for a gal like me?
Thanks,
--

*Peggy Viney *

Hi Peggy,

I've got one that's made of foam rubber with a cloth cover that you take in to fit you exactly, then zip over the foam. I think it's called "Uniquely You", although since I got mine second hand from my aunt years ago I'm not sure. They come in several size ranges, mine is about 14-20, although she may squish down smaller. The thing I like about this one is, you can make several covers to fit different sizes within the range, and you can also corset it to work for different period costumes.

Melusine