Just an unasked piece of information.  Daggers were used for a specific
purpose and it wasn't cutting up your food. All the actual eating knives I
have seen in European Museums and Marc de Gaukler's actual archeological
pieces look a lot like a common eating knife, or a paring knife.  The top of
the blade blunt and the bottom with an edge.  Handles were wood or bone.
Taking a look at the pictures that show them actually eating and you will
see this.

Now that I've given you a whole bunch of information that isn't what you
want...http://www.medievalwares.com/new.htm  Take a look at the knives about
1/2 way down the page.  Your boy can always look snarky at his friends and
point out that his knife is a Proper Period Style!  My eating knife is
actually a fishing knife I bought from Finland.  It has a leather scabbard
and is the sharpest thing I've ever owned.!  It also cost about $6.00 then.
Try this URL because I think they made mine:
http://www.kellamknives.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

EEE!  I just looked at the prices!  I should have invested in this company
instead of Microsoft!  Still that is the actual form that you are looking
for.

Here is the URL for a place that might satisfy him
http://www.swordsknivesanddaggers.com/catalog/medievalweapons/MedievalDagger
s.aspx

Best place to find such is at an SCA event with merchants.  I've never seen
a large grouping that doesn't have a nice selection.  I must admit to a real
weakness for sharp point objects.

Regina Romsey