At 6:23 PM -0500 12/19/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I am doing some digging around for rules concerning types of marriage in the
British Empire in the 1870's. A Google search for British Common Law Marriage
got me a Wikipedia entry that had a reference that mentions Marriage By
Correspondence
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_in_the_United_Kingdom#Scotlan).
However, I have been unable to find any other mention of it.

Do any of you have any more information about Marriage By Correspondence?

The Wikipedia article (like so many Wikipedia articles) is a garbled mix of fact and nonsense. In particular, they do not seem to really understand the history of marriage law in Scotland.

I don't really do the 19th century, but for the basic foundation (which remained essentially unchanged until 1940), see the Marriage sections of my article "Historical Handfasting" at

http://MedievalScotland.org/history/handfasting.shtml

Note, however, that marriage law was not uniform throughout the UK (let alone the whole British Empire). At a minimum, Scotland had (and still has) a separate legal system and laws. So marriage law and practice will depend on the particular place you have in mind.

Sharon
--
Sharon Krossa, PhD  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Medieval Scotland - http://MedievalScotland.org/