At 07:24 PM 1/9/2008, you wrote:

When I've had this problem on modern shirts it's usually been because
the neckline at the back isn't cut deep enough, so the shirt shifts to
fall where it should, making it choke you.

alex

Weird. When I've had this problem it was because the neck opening was set too far back. Our heads are not on top of our torsoes, they're slightly forward, so when the neck opening is cut right at the shoulder seam it tends to pull and the front chokes you. Setting the neck opening a little further towards the front has solved the problem for me.

With some assistance and research, we have found the problem and the solution. The problem lies in the slit neckline that was apparently used on at least some shirts of that time period (or at least some researchers claim that it was - but since they've had the opportunity to see existent pieces I defer to their expertise and knowledge). The correction is to cut an off-center oval (more toward the front than the back based on the shoulder seams) and gather to the collar. With just an inch or two scoop to the front, the collar issue is solved). While I know that this is the style in more modern shirts, there appears to be a time when the collar was cut directly on the shoulder seam. This causes the pull to the back of the neck and that lovely feeling of being strangled. It has nothing to do with what under- and over-garments you wear, it's strictly a shirt construction issue.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions and advice.

Connie