Julie wrote:

>Interesting.  My daughter mentioned malaria but I told her it couldn't be that
>because it's tropical.  Cholera was >mentioned as well.  I was thinking along
>the lines of the horrible influenza in the U.S. in 19...teens that killed so
>>many.  Wasn't it called the Spanish Influenza?

Not just in the US - my father's uncle, a Derbyshire vicar, died of it in 1918
after taking many other victims' funerals, and it was widespread on the
European continent.

I think malaria (ague) and cholera were recognised diseases in the 16th
century, so the sweating sickness must have been something different.

Kate Bunting
Cataloguing & Data Quality Librarian
University of Derby