I assume that you mean candles; the contents of which was readily available from the kitchens and other living quarters heated by fireplaces. The number of 10,000 is astounding, however. Courtiers were often responsible for their own furnishings. The Invitation to live at Versailles came with a price.

Kathleen
----- Original Message ----- From: "Leif og Bjarne Drews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 8:00 AM
Subject: [h-cost] off topic price of candlesticks

I watched a documentary film about Marie Antoinette from swedish television with a swedish story teller. I believe the original of the film is french. Anyway he tells that they burned 10000 candlesticks every day at Versailles and the price of 1 candlestick would be as much as the vages of a worker for a week!
I dont wonder why the people got angry then, but could this really be true!

Bjarne