Justine,

I don't go to the dances. I have a horse at home with me and we spend our time and money doing Horse Things while the other ladies and their gentlemen do Costume Things. I am part of a small group that volunteers at Acorn Hall in Morristown. The ladies are very nice and help each other sew Period Correct clothing and make hats for the outfits.

Ask your local Historical Society if there is a similar group near you. I found them by accident while touring the Hall. We are in a hotbed of Revolutionary War sites here in NJ, but if you look, you can find Victorian activities. In fact, while the rest of the ladies are hostess-ing at Acorn Hall, I am with other horse friends, riding sidesaddle at Fosterfields Living History Farm during Victorian Weekend in early May, each year.

All the ladies that go to the dances do not have a gentleman, so I am sure the dances are open to you. Google Cape May attractions and see what you find! Have fun!

Susan

"Slow down. The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel
too fast and you miss all you are traveling for".  - "Ride the Dark
Trail" by Louis L'Amour