Chris Laning wrote:
I thought people would enjoy this review of the second volume of MC&T. (It's an annual: volume 4 is due out later this spring). The reviewer is clearly delighted with it and says some nice things about how the study of clothing and textiles illuminates other aspects of medieval life. Well, duh! We knew that!

Congrats, Robin and Gale!

Thanks, Chris! People have been sending me copies of this one since it appeared. We're pretty pleased with the assessment; the reviewer is a respected costume historian in her own right and I hope to have the chance to work with her someday.

Two of the authors in the volume she reviewed (vol. 2) are regulars on this list: Drea Leed and Danielle Nunn-Weinberg. Congrats to them, too, for a job well done.

Reviews seem to take a long time to catch up to publications. We publish once a year, and our third volume came out in April 2007; see http://www.boydell.co.uk/43832917.HTM for contents. That volume includes a paper by listmember Melanie Schuessler on 15th-c. children's clothing.

Our fourth volume is at the printer this week and is due out in a couple of months. You can see the contents here:
http://www.boydell.co.uk/43833662.HTM
... and you can pre-order either through Boydell or other dealer such as Amazon (prices vary).

This volume has a number of papers that should be of especial interest to historic costumers (in addition to costume historians). I'm particularly pleased about a paper giving a close analysis of a surviving linen cap attributed to the 14th-century saint Birgitta of Sweden, complete with photos, measurements, and diagrams of construction and likely mode of wear for the cap itself, as well as detailed discussion and diagrams of the embroidered decoration. One of the two authors is a Danish clothing historian, and the other is a re-enactor and costumer from Belgium. I suspect we will be seeing Birgitta caps on re-enactors all over two continents after this comes out.

Another paper, by quilt historian Lisa Evans (who may be known to some of you as a re-enactor in the Boston area), starts with an entry for a decorated quilt in Henry VII's inventory and examines it from every possible angle. She takes into account the 16th century quilt industry, Henry's marital history, the symbolic use of heraldic motifs, and the political intrigues of the Tudor court to build an extremely plausible and logical account of the origin, use, and significance of this textile object. It reads like a mystery story.

For those of you who have heard me speak on the Greenland multi-gore gown: I've promised for a long time to do a proper written paper on this, and I've finally gotten it done. That's in volume 4 as well. Yes, there's a pattern diagram.

Other papers discuss the linguistic development of costume terms ("wimple" and "cuff"), linen production in medieval Russia, references to scarlet clothing in Icelandic sagas, a new method for classifying archaeological textiles that takes appearance into account, and symbolic use of women's turbans in 15th-century French painting.

And now I'm working on volume 6. No rest for the wicked.

--Robin