Sorry all, the top bit of the post fell off. It was meant to read:

The earliest, rare example I know of is a man's worsted tartan cape dated 1828-30, with a label proclaiming it to be made by John Eyre of New Bond Street, London. Otherwise, Suzi is on the right track, they appear more and more from
the 1860s. I don't know if you can count the imprints of manufacturers
such as Thomsons on their crinolines as dressmakers/tailors. There are
labels in hats from the 1830s at least, shoes even earlier. By the
1880s it's quite common in produced clothing. I could put you in touch
with someone who's researching this for a thesis if it would be helpful.

cheers, Hilary

Has anyone researched when dressmakers/tailors first starting putting labels in their goods? In particular I'm interested in the mid 19th century. I know
House of Worth was marking their goods by the 1890's but I'm hoping for
something earlier.

Beth Chamberlain