Andrew Trembley wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Good evening to all of you and hope my series of questioning doesn't seem silly but for some reason I am still having trouble trying to decypher the difference between an amateur costumer (myself, one who has a general knowledge of a topic) and one who is a serious costumer, or professional.

A professional costumer is someone who loves costuming so much they're willing to work for far less money than they're worth so they don't have to do something else. It often involves a lot of production grunt-work making higher-margin dull and functional items so one can afford the time spent on fancy artistic projects.

An amateur costumer is anyone who does it for the fun and the art, regardless of skill level, without looking for financial compensation. Amateurs also can choose to only do the fun projects.

I don't think the term "professional costumer" and "serious costumer" are synonymous, and neither of them are synonymous with "costume scholar" --although all three can and do overlap.

I know "professionals" who, frankly, are not nearly as talented as some amateurs I know. I know professionals whose focus is outside the serious study of historical clothing and who are thus not costume scholars. I know amateurs who are costume scholars, as well as a few who make some money off of costuming but not anything approaching a real salary. Plenty of these are "serious" - but they're not professionals.

I also know costume scholars who are not in any real sense of the word costumers. They study historic clothing and its aspects (textiles, etc.) but do not make costumes.

And I think the lines between all of these are not clear. They're more like three intersecting circles describing one's involvement in costume and costume research.

I think we need to be careful about terminology. Amateur has unfortunately lost most of its original, lovely meaning and is sometimes misinterpreted as "unknowledgeable, second-rate, slapdash, etc." The academic world has now evolved the term "independent scholar", which is no longer quite the pejorative it once was.

Susan