I don't know if it would work on clothing, but this is the
recommendation I got for removing the smell from a meat filled freezer
that went bad.....

place newspapers on the bottom of the container, sprinkle baking soda
in a generous layer and then sprinkle that generously with vanilla.
It absorbed the smell out of the freezer, which I thought was a goner,
like you wouldn't believe.

Katy

On 3/10/08, A. Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My mom is quitting smoking and my sister is trying to get the smoke
> smell out of her clothes and linens (only reason I'm not is because I
> live too far away!)
>
> So far she's tried 2 washes with baking soda-based laundry detergent
> and drying with a scented dryer sheet, but the stink is still there.
>
> I've found a few online references
> (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/laundry/msg0715272815935.html?4,
> http://ask.yahoo.com/20021212.html,
> http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/odor-removal/how-to-get-rid-of-cigarette-smoke-smell)
> and while I'm still researching, I have a few questions:
>
> 1) most of the recommendations I've read for removing tobacco smoke
> from fabrics involve phospate based detergents, vinegar, and/or
> ammonia. This is great for whites, but will this affect dyed fabrics?
>
> 2) my mom is very wash and wear so most of her clothing (as well as
> linens) are cottons and cotton-poly blends. What about the odd wool or
> silk items?
>
> 3) Any further recommendations?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Allison T.

Katy Bishop, Vintage Victorian
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                www.VintageVictorian.com
     Custom reproduction gowns of the Victorian Era.
      Publisher of the Vintage Dress Series books.