If you still have a copy, and it is a translation, I would love one. You can
contact me off-list at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Kate

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Wanda Pease
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 8:12 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] looking for scan of Alcega Scholar robe

 Re: looking for scan of Alcega Scholar robe

> Can I just add that anyone who doesn't have a copy of this marvellous
> book should really think about getting one as a standard reference if
> they work on the 16th century, much like Janet Arnold's. I've had my
> copy for about 8 years now, and it's one of the most useful books I've
> ever had (

After reading the information above I went to the David Brown site to order
another softback.  Sadly they came back "haven't any more".  I cried, I
whined, I send pleas directly to Ian Stevens their friendly marketing
director who just happened to be in England at the moment.  He sent our into
the dim reaches of Oxbow books warehouse and unearthed the last 5 copies
they had.

I say Had because I now have them.  They are $70 each because David Brown
charged $65 plus $5 shipping.  If you want one I can let you have it for
that plus the amount it will cost to media mail (or other, contact me) it to
you.  I'm also trying to get my hands on some others that aren't perfect,
but can be made to have all the information.

Now this is not an attempt to undercut either Oxbow, David Brown (my
favorite form of Crack), or Mr. and Mrs. Bean.  I desperately want this book
back in print.  The thing is that I believe that it would sell slowly but
steadily in about 200 copies per year (or am I under/over estimating?).
David Brown would be happy to handle the selling if it had the opportunity.

Buying copies to the Editor/Translator/book publisher get money for more
copies and Royalties for all their hard work is the only way to get this
done.

Anyway, if anyone wants a copy now, let me know and we can probably make a
deal.  Like Hilary, this is a book I wouldn't be without.  The patterns are
to scale and really work.  It isn't a book for a new sewer.  It may not even
be a book for someone who hasn't worked with period style patterns before.
Took me years to figure out what was going on with some of them, but then
it's a Eureka! moment.

Regina Romsey.
P.S.  If you live in England or a European country, you might try and
contact Mrs. Bean directly.  If they have more copies available themselves,
I'm sure they would be happy to sell too!
e: