In a message dated 4/1/2008 9:42:06 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Anyway,  it would seem like the oil paint would
have been what was used to  permanently mark fabric.  I have only just
begun working with oil  paints myself, so I don't know how they handle
in this case,

******************

They had other [water based] media back then. They didn't have to use oil
paint. gauche anyone?

And oil painting is usually done on fabric...a canvas, y'know. But  it is
heavily gessoed. Painting with oils on raw, unsized fabric creates  all sorts
of
problems. Besides, it takes a long  time...days...weeks....months....for oil
paint to [really] dry.

I recently saw a exhibit at the Hirshhorn Museum of artists Morris Louis,
who painted in acrylic washes on unprimed canvas and "started" the "color
field"
 movement. There was a section on restorations of the 60's canvases from
other  artists in this group who painted with oil on raw canvas. The restorers
have to  contend with the oils spreading out from painted areas and the damage
done to  the cloth by the chemical reactions of pigments and  oils.

Home.