In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:30:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Someone  recently told me that it was a sign of refinement/education to be be
to  spell a word in different ways. Anyone ever hear of this?

Not "your", "you're" and "yore". Or "two", "to" and "too".

I suppose it might seem cosmopolitan to know "color" is "colour" in Britain
or that you can shop at a shoppe... but it's really just having a good vocab.
English has like 3 times more words in it than other languages... stolen from
 other languages... which is why we have so many different spellings and
homonyms.