Well, recycling old clothes to the current fashion has been
done throughout history.  I think it's due to the post-WWII
consumerism that we're not used to it the way our ancestors were.

      Whether something is thrown out or worn to rags, it's gone.  I
think what vexes many historians is when a garment is dormant for 20
or more years (stored) and *then* worn to rags or thrown out.
Sometimes it's a fashion trend (inspired by a period movie, for
example) and sometimes it's an individual's interest.

      The only way to "prevent" such things is to buy and preserve
vintage clothing yourself and support museums that do the same.  It's
all supply and demand.

      Personally, I also cringe at an item that has been altered, or
an extant gown where someone has cut off the entire placket for the
buttons (rather than removing them individually). I once bought a
1920s dress for $5 where the dealer said only the lace was worth
saving — after a careful washing and light pressing the entire thing
was in great shape.

      Also there are many people who can reproduce a garment or style
(out of fresh, new, isn't-going-to-shatter fabric), but some
customers would rather take their chances with a $50 vintage item
than pay $250 for a repro.

      -Carol