To all who've addressed this question to date: Thank you all so much. I now
don't 1) feel all alone 2) feel so abused.

Here is some of how I do a design assignment or project:

Read the script as early as possible, first for impression then for content

Research the author, his era, the era of the play

Read the script again for actions of characters

Line by line read the dialogue for described, prescribed, and proscribed dress

Take into account the stage directions and how or if they apply to the stage
being used

Assess each character's personality

Talk to the director

Prepare drawings for director's approval

Check with set design on color, exits-entrances, any obstructions, need for
particular set pieces ( coat rack, etc.)

I do not costume actors; I design uniforms for characters (I do take into
consideration any physical limitations of the actor)

On this show I got the script the afternoon of auditions and was turned on my
request for a meeting with director who said she didn't know what she yet and
she'd get back to me - never happened.

A starter for, not a standard, a precept to work by :never take measurements by
yourself, always use a chaperone. If working with children do not use other
children for this, always use an adult. Audy

in the high boonies of Central Texas