On Apr 30, 2008, at 12:42 PM, Alexandria Doyle wrote:
> In the last five years are so I've worked in companies that had large
> format scanners, but the document is fed into the machine, not laid on
> a flat bed.  Most of these are gentle enough with the material being
> scanned - some of the drawings I've worked with were originally done
> in the 1950's and are pretty fragile considering the use they have
> had.
>
> So if it's not bound in a book, it could go into the scanner, if it
> is bound...

What you want for something like this is a copy stand and a high-
resolution digital camera.

Lay the large original on the table. Position the copy stand so the
object is completely in frame. Adjust the lights to ensure the
document is evenly lit. Shoot.

It's just the evolution of film copying.

andy