Take a look at Baby Lock or Bernette sergers.

Sewing machine dealers sell sergers, but they are not made by sewing machine
manufacturers. They are all made in Asia, to the specifications of the
company that puts its name on them.

Over the years, they have added many features to the original, home overlock
machine. Some of them are useful, some are only additional expense.

I would recommend a 3/4 thread model with differential feed. You do NOT need
to pay extra for a serger that sets its own tensions for the different
stitches. A little practice and setting tensions is simple to do. In fact,
you are expected to adjust the tension any time you serge on a different
fabric, or with a different thread.

Since you don't sew with knits, you won't need a cover stitch. This is the
stitch used to hem T-shirts, etc. Some sergers can convert from overlock to
cover stitch and back again, but you won't use this feature.

Models made within the last 10 years should be fairly easy to thread. You
don't need to buy something with an automatic threading system, unless you
want to spend the extra money. I do save time by tying the new thread on to
the old one, and pulling it through with the tension turned to zero.

You can get a blind hem foot for your serger, if you want to finish the raw
edge and hem at the same time, and at high speed. I usually find it easier
not to do this, but if I had a lot of curtains or something large to do, it
would come in handy.

Do try the machine before you buy. If it sounds clackety or feels shaky when
it sews, it's probably too cheaply made and you shouldn't buy it.

You can probably find a decent, used 3/4 thread serger with differential
feed under $300. If you buy from a dealer, don't hesitate to dicker on
price. If they won't come down, maybe they'll throw in a free accessory.

Good luck.

Kim