--- Marie Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Widows would usually wear mourning until a second
> marriage, or for the
> rest of their lives.  One way that a widow could
> signal a willingness
> to marry was to  put off the black. Although it was
> socially expected
> that even a young woman would wear mourning for a
> husband for at least
> two years, one year of deepest mourning and at least
> one year of
> secondary. (and here I might be slipping into
> Victorian custom, so
> I'll stop.)

Yes, I think you are. That doesn't sound Elizabethan
to me. What I was just reading recently indicates that
a  month (a period called a "month's mind") was
considered entirely appropriate for mourning a spouse.
Men and women both were expected to remarry,
especially if there were children involved.

This is from David Cressy's Birth, Marriage, and
Death: Ritual, Religion, and the Life-Cycle in Tudor
and Stuart England, Oxford University Press, 1997.

MaggiRos

The Elizabethan World is at http://elizabethan.org
coming soon in paperback!