>  don't think I have enough time to make a full court gown at this
> stage and should think about a doublet.

Actually, "Court Gown" doesn't necessarily mean a low necked bodice
and skirt, any more than the modern "evening gown" means any specific
style.  It's a description of the level of richness and
ornamentation, not the cut or style of the garment.  A court gown
could be a low necked bodice and skirt or it could a doublet bodice,
probably with a matching skirt for this level of formality till quite
late in the century.  It could also be a loose gown, which is like a
coat that flares from the shoulders, or a fitted gown, which fits
closely to the body and may or may not have a waistline seam.

I agree with Albert that a doublet would probably be more, not less,
work than a simple fitted bodice and skirt.  Don't futz around with
trimming details if you're short of time: find a beautiful brocade
and let it do the work for you. This style is seen in a number of
period paintings of female musicians, so it seems particularly
appropriate here.

As to wearing the collar open, I would say yes, especially for a
musician who needs ease of movement.  It was good enough for Mary,
Queen of Scots, who was painted several times wearing a shirt or
smock with a large ruff worn open.

Margo