From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Shane Sheridan Chabot
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 1:46 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Modest clothing (Was FLDS Clothing)

Where I grew up in the Canadian prairies there are numerous Hutterite
communities that have a similar modest dress code. You can often tell which
colony they came from by the colors they wear. Predominantly blues, navy and

black were the most common in my area, and others have a bit more variety in

color especially for their youth. Boys wear dark slacks, white or light
colored (blue or grey) shirts and suspenders. Old fashioned Hats in felt or
straw also very common. Girls are either in a full skirted lower calf or
ankle length dress or a full skirt and very modest blouse. All of the ladies

wore a black or navy kerchief that always had white polkadots on their head
and often aprons - I think mostly for the married women. Little girls wore
bonnets. Very germanic in feel, in fact most of them still speak German. As
a kid I always got a kick out of the fact most of the girls wore white
running shoes - very anachronistic. :0)

The Mennonites were much more open to modern clothing, but many of the women

adopt a simple modest style - jumper style dresses and blouses, long skirts,

very specific hairstyles and sometimes a simple head cover/bonnet.

Sheridan P