This is from "Costume in England: A History of Dress" by F W Fairholt,
published in 1846.  Strutt died in 1802.

Waistcoat - A term originally used, as at present, for an under-garment or coat reaching only to the waist. "It ultimately," says Strutt, "superseded the doublet, but not until such time as the latter appellation was totally dropped." In the seventeenth century it regained its original position and meaning.

It's not much help.  Randle Holme was active 1683-1700, so he is a much better
source.

I *think* the word bodice as we use it is late Victorian. It was defined as "a sort of stays" in "A Critical Pronouncing Dictionary", 1837 and in "Costume in England", 1846 (boddice). Webster's Dictionary defines it as "Stays; a corset." in 1867. In 1884 the "National Standard Encyclopedia" defines it as "A waistcoat quilted with whalebone, worn by women; stays; a corset." Was that part of the question?

Happy sewing,
  Deb Salisbury
  The Mantua-Maker
  Designer and creator of quality historical sewing patterns
  Renaissance to Victorian
  www.mantua-maker.com
  http://mantua-maker-patterns.blogspot.com