Penny,

Note that Suzi put the correct spelling in her subject line -- Lady Duff Gordon used the name "Lucile" [ONE 'l'] professionally. (Sorry, I used to be a proof-reader back in the days before spell-checkers.) And Wikipedia is a fairly reliable source for fact-checking stuff like this. ;-) Just don't trust them on anything that has political overtones! ... hmmm, I don't have enough information to say whether "Lucy" was the same person who became "Lucile"... I'd say probably not, but others may have better sources. (Remember that, unlike today, Lucy was a popular name 100 years ago.)

I'm pretty sure that Mme Paquin's forename was Jeanne, but I don't have a reliable source for that. :-) My home library is heavily oriented towards the 16th century... I'll try to find the answers for Paquin tomorrow at work.

Suzanne

On Sep 4, 2008, at 1:00 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

From: Suzi Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: September 3, 2008 4:13:58 PM CDT
To: Historical Costume <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Designers questions/Lucile

At 21:23 03/09/2008, you wrote:
I am working on history of fashion designers from the early 20th Century and have a few questions.

Paquin:
I have that Mme Paquin business was from 1891-1956. Does anyone know her first name? I can't find it in my resources. Also I have come across some French images in 1919 for a Joseph Paquin. Would Joseph be a relative working under Mme Paquin's label or house?

Lady Duff Gordon: Did she go by several names. I have in 1907 an illustrator and designer named Lucy and in the 1910s Lucille. Could this be Lady Duff Gordon?

This one I know - yes "Lucille" was Lady Duff Gordon.