English and North American, no, but I've seen two portraits of Marie Antoinette
wearing what could only be velvet.

Perhaps the writer didn't mean an article of clothing in velvet. In my
understanding of the phraseology of the time (which is vague at best) "wearing
velvet" could just mean a velvet ribbon or somesuch.

Claudine