You might look for petite sizes. They are made for persons with shorter
torsos.

Kim

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 3:18 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: [h-cost] Garment-fitting question

Hi,
Making historical costumes fitted to myself and others has made me so much
more critical of the ways modern commercial clothes make me look even worse
than I have to! I gained a bunch of weight over the past couple of years
that I'm having trouble getting rid of, and yet I still have to get dressed
every day and leave the house. Sigh.
The particular problem I am having with modern clothes is that things that
are big enough to go around my current girth are cut too long from waist to
hip. This gives some skirts and dresses a pot belly all on their own,
independent of mine. Is there any relatively simple alteration to the
clothes that would fix this, while I am working on the alterations to my
shape? I know I could take the waistbands off skirts and shorten the length
from waist to hip, so the skirt gets big where I do; one-piece dresses seem
to present a harder puzzle. In fact I'm a little confused about how they
manage to produce the paunch when they're not actually tight anywhere. Any
suggestions?

Thank you.
Lauren
[EMAIL PROTECTED]