I am sure have heard of certain colours used in clothing such as zoot suits
referred to in this way -- I cannot recall where/when -- colours such as
yellow, green and others not usually associated with menswear of the early 20th
century.

You could always hunt and email the author and ask.

As a side note, the Phryne Fisher Fan Club here in Melbourne used to take tea
at the Windsor Hotel as described in the books. I wonder if they are still
around,

-C.