At 16:52 13/01/2009, you wrote:
How about dots....as in polka dots (Although the polka hadn't been invented
yet....had it?) The only thing I can remember from the period (maybe a little
earlier) is a metallic dot printed over a floral print.

I have this diaphanous silk sheer that is light coffee with kinda close
white polka dots....but not much. Enough to do a sorta overdress. I was gonna make up a plain Regency dress in a robin's egg blue silk (I have lots of that)
and make a sleeveless open front over-thingie out of the dot. The  colors
together look fantastic and the effect of the shimmering dots with the  blue
underneath is beautiful.

I may make it up anyway....even if it's not so very accurate. I have just
enough robin's egg blue silk twill (just one shade darker than the other silk)
to make a Spencer for it and some coffee velvet for a  bonnet.

Sounds lovely. Dots won't do for me - I have all this striped silk..................just begging to be made up. (Can you hear the whispers from all the other fabrics that are just dying to be made up too?)

Suzi