I was leaving this to more knowledgeable costumers, but I think I'll
chime in at this point.

Yes, it's some kind of placket, or plastron. Sideless surcoats were
stylized in this way in the later centuries. They were illustrated on
statues and other visual documents always being worn by royalty, and
often with this kind of placket in the later centures, long after they
stopped being worn. I suspect what you're looking at is some kind of
allegory or imagery, not actual clothing of the period. But... I'm no
expert, just going on memory of other discussions on this list and
others.