www.ghees.com carries a 16" tubular bag frame. I couldn't find anything bigger. Perhaps if you contact them they can point you elsewhere.

HTH,
Sandy

At 11:35 AM 1/27/2009, you wrote:
I am looking to build at least one (maybe more) 19th century-styled
carpetbag to complete a Victorian costume and for general use.  I found a
great ebook article on the Smithsonian website (a reprint of a Scientific
American article from 1886) with pattern shapes and instructions so I'm set
there, but what I need to find now is a source for a tubular frame for the
top of the bag.

I'm looking for a square-shaped frame (rounded corners) with a flat spring
hinge that holds its shape (open or closed), somewhere in the neighborhood
of 20" x 7" when opened.

Does anyone have any idea where I might look?  Are there any sutlers who
might specialize/deal in this sort of hardware?

TIA for any leads...

Richard in MI

"Those Who Fail to Learn History
Are Doomed to Repeat It;