I used to work in an opera costume shop, and our singers had no trouble with normal corsets. You could, however, put a small elastic panel in each side if she feels the need.

On how much to reduce, it depends a lot on the person. Usually the larger a woman gets, the squishier she is and the more you have to reduce to get the right effect comfortably. Sometimes, though, even larger ladies are quite firm. I would make the corset just a bit smaller but with an eye to how you'll take it in if it's too big. If the fabric has any stretch, that will also play a role.

Good luck,
Melanie Schuessler