Here's MY soapbox:

This is what's wrong with chain stores in general: the management, the decision-makers, are not part of the communities where their stores are, and are not particularly interested in catering to individual segments of the market. I can't imagine WHO is actually served well by their decisions.

The chains used the weapon of lower prices to bludgeon small, local stores out of the market; now they decide the market isn't big enough and pull out themselves, leaving the actual consumer with nothing.

What's the answer? I shop at only one chain store of any kind: Trader Joe's, and I started shopping there only when the mom&pop grocery and the Korean greengrocer near me closed (when the Stop n Shop became a Super Stop n Shop).

The prices at local stores are higher, but often not that much higher; and the willingness to cater to individual needs is greater, as is the sensitivity to the local customer and lifestyle. But one customer isn't enough to keep these stores open, and there's the rub. Right now in my immediate area the only place to buy knitting supplies is the local craft shop, which has devoted half of one aisle to yarns and needles....For fabric and notions I'm very lucky to have a Discount Fabric store near me, with a charming and knowledgeable owner; but he stocks only what's available to him, mill ends. Some of his stuff is exquisite, but a lot more isn't appropriate to my needs; and I never do know what he's going to have.

The answer we who sew have been driven to is the Internet, but if we don't have the time (or patience) to send for swatches, wait for them, finger them, guess what kind of hand a larger piece would have, then decide--or send for more swatches--this is not the ideal answer.

I have no answer. I do have the hope, though, that in the current economy more people will dust off their sewing skills and the fabric market will rebound (with less emphasis on craft kits etc!). There are plenty of people who sew--on the coasts as well as in the middle of the country. If a small store does open near you, do your best to shop there, and to educate the owner on your needs. Meanwhile, keep hectoring whatever stores do sell fabric, to keep on selling it, and to stock the kind of fabric you actually want.

--Ruth Anne Baumgartner
scholar gypsy and amateur costumer