From: stils...@netspace.net.au <stils...@netspace.net.au>
Subject: Re: [h-cost] 18th century Tricorn hats
To: "Historical Costume" <h-cost...@indra.com>
Date: Monday, April 6, 2009, 5:38 PM

The tricorn origin was just pinning up wide-brim hats until the floppy bits
were out of the way.

The most common of what we call a tricorn had a dome crown (cylindrical is not
unheard of but the dome is the most common).

So:

Grab a hat that matches your size requirements. If you have a larger one, pin
it up and cut the brim;

Wet the thing with felt stiffener (there are several brands, all stink to high
heaven so do it outdoors or in a ventilated area), set the shape that you want
and leave it to dry;

As a tip, if you do not have a reliably heavy hatblock or mannequin head to
leave it dry upon, use a ball of the right size;

Add decoration and edging when dry,

-C.