Käthe Barrows wrote:
The Nazis used pink triangles for homosexuals in camps.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_triangle and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:German_concentration_camp_chart_of_prisoner_markings.jpg
Yes, but this is "20th century", as I said in my original post. The academic standards were adopted in the late 19th century in the United States. For example:

"There has been a great diversity of opinion on the subject, but the
generally accepted rule is pink for the boy and blue for the girl. The
reason is that pink being a more decided and stronger color is more
suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty,
is prettier for the girl." [Ladies Home Journal, June, 1918]

So pink for music predates both pink for girls and pink as associated with homosexuals. (It's quite true that the use of pink for homosexuals for the Nazis may show that the shift to associate pink with the feminine may have happened in Germany by the 30s.)

Susan