You wrote:

--The worst thing we judges saw, in Workmanship, was unfinished raw edges
with loose threads fraying out of them.  I think about half of what we saw
had this problem, and it didn't gain anybody points.  (That said, my own
seam finish isn't always that great unless I think a workmanship judge, or
one of my students, will ever see it.)

Of course, there are periods where a raw edge is more authentic than
finished edges. My 7th century Anglo-Saxon outfit is made that way
deliberately. The cloth is a really hardy diamond twill, the seams are just
laid over each other and stitched with the fabric's wool (which would have
been left over from the fabrication), both inside and outside. A lot of
12-13th century garments were made without finished edges too.

Glenda.