On May 9, 2009, at 8:11 AM, debloughcostu...@aol.com wrote:
But period correct fabrics are more than available (easily), like fulled wools, (admittedly I do live near several of the best wool mills in Europe),

     Must be nice!   :-)

It's all a matter of compromise — the correct fulled wools may be more expensive, or perhaps someone wants a particular color and can't find it in the right weight. I've thrown wool into the dyepot and then had it come out fuzzier than it started.

and  flat felled seams are just as easy as french on a sewing machine.

However there is the idea that machine sewing should not be visible in pre-machine tie periods. Of course there is also the argument that good backstitching looks like machine sewing on the top side. :-) And then there is finding a linen thread smooth enough to run through a machine.

Overlocking may be necessary, but only if you're using the wrong finish or technique, and hand overcasting using something like whipstitch is just as easy, if a little more time consuming (not much when you take into account the setting up of the machine) - and I can't think offhand of a period when overcasting wouldn't be correct - it was around during early medieval times and tudor times, and it still was by victorian and mid 20th century.

While overcasting can be found, it still depends on which garment and/or which fabric. 18th century shifts and shirts were flat- felled, for example.

In reenactment, we have the luxury of concentrating on one time period and can learn the details. I'm a big fan of basic standards for groups. Within that, individuals learn and make their own compromises. There may be a conflict of technique vs. the overall look — the machine French seam with the non-offensive exterior appearance.

Judges of competitions have a difficult job of determining which compromise is better than another, not to mention comparing work portraying different time periods!

     -Carol