> I though start with everyone at 5 out of 10. This is to assume they
> have followed the two very basic rules: it was made by the wearer and
> they told me how. Those are in the official rules and so this is the
> minimum of what I would expect of everyone. The C grade if you will,
> or pass or whatever. This is fairly moot as the contestants don't get
> to see these numbers/grades but they help me in sorting out the
> awards. Anyone over a certain mark is automatically in the running
> (though not automatically awarded) and anyone below it will not- then
> I can compare the individual entries. So it is in the contestants
> interest to do more than the minimal amount required!
>
> Points do get lost

I think it's more positive to describe the judging process in terms of
adding points to a score, and competing as taking advantage of
opportunities to score points, than it is to talk about losing points.
 But in all my years I've never heard of a system where points can
actually be lost from an initial number of them.  Yours does seem
workable, I just never thought of it that way.

--
Carolyn Kayta Barrows