What to look out for...besides pick-pockets, which I'm sure you've already
thought of. :P

In Gujurat you might find Rajasthani block and roller printed cottons, seeing
as Rajasthan is just a state (or 2?) away. You'll definitely find fancy woven
or beaded or embroidered (or any combination) trims, which are sometimes cut
off sari borders. You'll of course find saris, though in the north the
preferred dress is a shirt and pants type outfit. Seems that modern tastes are
for things made of poly with lots of very modern, bling-y patterns, so you may
need to ask around for more traditional fibres and styles. Jewerly, of course,
there will be lots of jewelry, and my brain wants to say that you should
encounter lots of silver. Some of it might be applicable for historic use.

Will you be traveling with someone who is Indian? If you yourself are not brown
you may not get the best service, or may get taken for a naive tourist. If you
don't have an Indian friend that can talk to the shop keepers then bargain very
firmly. Also be aware that, depending on where you are, shop keepers can be
VERY aggresive. They won't touch you, but they will get in your face. I mean
that literally. This isn't universally true, of course, is some towns they shop
keepers are quite laid back. Just not so much in the really touristy areas.

Claudine