From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Lavolta Press
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 7:43 PM
To: h-cost...@indra.com
Subject: [h-cost] The Peterson's magazines

I accidentally deleted the original message but I remember the
substance. My response is:

1. The magazines are yours. You can do whatever you want with them. Why
worry about conforming to other people's "unwritten rules"?

2. Yes, Peterson's is a very commonly found 19th-century magazine and
yes, you can find complete copies (and bound annual volumes) fairly easily.

3. I try not to read the usually grade B fiction in them but sometimes I
get sucked into it. There are some stories that revolve around clothing
and show its importance to period readers in terms of things like
getting husbands and keeping up the correct social front in reduced
circumstances. These may interest you.

4. I have a sizable heap of largely gutted _Godey's_ and _Peterson's_
and loose pages from them, that someone gave me years ago. Since I would
rather have good copies (and in some instances do have them), I've
contemplated just throwing these onto the recycle pile. I almost never
throw anything away, but probably I should do it once in awhile.

5. Your mileage may vary, do whatever is most convenient for you.

Fran
Lavolta Press
New book on 1820s clothing!
http://www.lavoltapress.com