Test it first. I once had some teal wool that I wanted to dye navy, and the dye did nothing. Then I treated it with a color remover, and got a school-bus yellow, which took the navy dye perfectly.

Whatever that teal dye was, it saturated the fibers so nothing more could be added. A test would have meant just a little bit of dye and a lot less agitation of the wool, although it came through ok.

     -Carol