Dear Kate,

The best advice is, don't expect them to fit neatly, they never did!  The
pictures I've seen of extant garments with triangular gores, the top of  the
triangle tends to be flattened or rounded off.

My technique is to sew the top couple of inches first, with the rest of the
gore loose, and then when you've got the point in you can do the rest of the
seams.  Pin one side, stitch that bit up to the point, then wrangle it
around and pin the other side and stitch back down.

Jean