The construction chalk line works wonderfully.
I have used it for c.1300 garments out of modern 60" width fabric, where the
panel from hem to hem is much longer than any straight edge I own.

And if you have invested in a little Clover chalk marker, get the chalk refill
for the construction sort.  It's less expensive & gives much more chalk.

Ann in CT